Here are some interesting facts about water; how much we have, how much gets wasted, and how we use it.

  • Only 3% of Earth’s water is fresh water the other 97% is salt water.
  • 30% of fresh water is in the ground.
  • 1.7% of the world’s water is frozen and therefore unusable.
  • Water can dissolve more substances than any other liquid including sulfuric acid.
  • Approximately 400 billion gallons of water are used in the United States per day.
  • Nearly one-half of the water used by Americans is used for thermoelectric power generation.
  • It takes six and a half years for the average American residence to use the amount of water required to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool (660,000 gallons).
  • It takes seven and a half years for the average American residence to use the same amount of water that flows over the Niagara Falls in one second (750,000 gallons).
  • American residents use about 100 gallons of water per day.
  • Americans use more water each day by flushing the toilet than they do by showering or any other activity.
  • The New York City water supply system leaks 36 million gallons per day.
  • If you drink your daily recommended 8 glasses of water per day from the tap, it will cost you about 50 cents per year. If you choose to drink it from water bottles, it can cost you up to $1,400 dollars.
  • There are approximately one million miles of water pipeline and aqueducts in the United States and Canada, enough to circle Earth 40 times.
  • A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
  • A cubic foot of water weighs 62.4 pounds
  • It takes more water to manufacture a new car (39,090 gallons) than to fill an above ground swimming pool.
  • Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
  • 1000 gallons of water are required to produce 1 gallon of milk.
  • Roughly 634 gallons of water go into the production of one hamburger.
  • At 1 drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons per year.
  • Water makes up between 55-78% of a human’s body weight.

 

Source: Environmental Protection Agency